Dwayne's Practice Areas
Dwayne E. Cyrus
Dwayne E. Cyrus joined Shuman, McCuskey & Slicer, PLLC in May 1999 and became a member of the firm in January 2001. Mr. Cyrus’s practice is focused in the areas of insurance coverage, agent errors and omissions, professional liability, public entity, and tort defense litigation.
Mr. Cyrus has over 25 years experience in handling insurance defense cases and claims, including coverage issues at both the trial and appellate levels. He previously served as Claims Legal Counsel for Nationwide Insurance Company for the southern region of West Virginia; in this position, he supervised cases involving issues of insurance coverage and bad faith litigation. Mr. Cyrus has served as lecturer for insurance claims personnel and agents on issues involved in the claims-handling process, including compliance with the Unfair Claims Practices Act. He previously served as Assistant Prosecuting Attorney for Mercer County.
Mr. Cyrus has four sons and two granddaughters, and he is married to Lou Ann Cyrus, who is also a member of the firm.
- West Virginia, 1989
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia, 1989
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of West Virginia, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, 1999
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2000
- Johnson v. Neal, 187 W.Va. 239, 418 S.E.2d 349 (1992)
- Harmon v. State Farm, 189 W.Va. 719, 434 S.E.2d 391 (1993)
- Lawson v. County Com’n of Mercer County, 199 W.Va. 77, 483 S.E.2d 78 (W.Va. 1996)
- King v. Heffernan, 214, W. Va. 853, 591 S.E.2d 761 (2003)
- Hess v. West Virginia Division of Corrections, 227 W.Va. 15, 705 S.E.2d 125(2011)
- Robertson v. Elliott, 315 Fed. Appx. 473 (Fourth Circuit 2009))
- Crawford v. Hill, 120 S.Ct. 1686, 146 L.Ed. 493, 68 USLW 3655 ((Cert Denied, 2000)