John's Practice Areas
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Architect & Engineering Liability
- Aviation Law
- Coal Mining Accidents
- Coal Mining Safety & Compliance
- Employment & Deliberate Intent Litigation
- Environmental Law
- Gas & Coal Litigation
- General Litigation
- Government Relations
- OSHA & MSHA Compliance
- Professional Malpractice
Hon. John F. McCuskey
John F. McCuskey began his association with Shuman, McCuskey & Slicer, PLLC in 1999, following his service as the 70th Justice of the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia.
Born and educated in Clarksburg, Mr. McCuskey’s career in law was preceded by his election to the West Virginia State Legislature in 1972, while he was still a law student at West Virginia University College of Law. Over the next 10 years, he combined a family law practice with his career in public service in his native Harrison County, West Virginia. In these endeavors, he gained experience and expertise in the formulation of legislation and governmental policy as well as all areas of commercial and individual litigation.
After serving as West Virginia’s Commissioner of Finance and Administration from 1985 to 1988, Mr. McCuskey became a partner in the firm of Campbell Woods Bagley in Charleston. For 10 years, his trial practice concentrated on products liability and insurance defense in which he successfully represented clients in federal and state court trials throughout West Virginia. Appointed by Governor Cecil Underwood to the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia in 1998, he authored 10 majority opinions and numerous concurrences and dissents during his year on the state’s highest court.
As a co-founder of the firm of Shuman, McCuskey & Slicer, PLLC, Mr. McCuskey has continued his active litigation practice in professional malpractice defense, coal, gas, energy-related law, and arbitration, mediation and expert witness services focusing on attorney fee and malpractice claims and mineral law disputes. Relying on his government experience, Mr. McCuskey also practices state and local government relations. His standing in the legal community has earned him Martindale-Hubbell’s prestigious “AV” Rating, which signifies that peers rank him at preeminent levels of legal ability and professional ethics.
Mr. McCuskey and his late wife, Anne, made Charleston their home thirty years ago and raised two children here. Their daughter, Liz, is now a law professor. Their son, J.B., also an attorney, served in the WV State Legislature and was elected West Virginia State Auditor in 2016.
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, 1978
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of West Virginia, 1975
- West Virginia, 1974
Honors and Awards
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia Distinguished Faculty Award in Recognition of Outstanding Contributions to the Education of Lawyers and the Judiciary
- Award in Recognition of Outstanding Contributions to the Education of Lawyers and the Judiciary