Environmental Law


Our attorneys assist clients with environmental law issues, often arising in the regulatory arena. This includes the often cumbersome permitting process required by the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) necessary to obtain NPDES permits or surface mining permits. Our lawyers work with the appropriate state personnel to get our clients’ operations running quickly and smoothly.

We also frequently represent clients through appeals to the Environmental Quality Board or Surface Mine Board and to the state Circuit Courts and the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, if necessary. Our experienced attorneys have assisted with cessation orders; show cause orders; and notices of violations.

We also frequently represent clients in front of the Office of Explosives and Blasting – the office charged with regulating blasting practices for surface mining. Our lawyers handle all of the administrative issues related to the claims process while our clients continue to work without interruptions or loss in productivity.

We also assist clients with West Virginia’s “brownfields” program, which was created to allow a second life for previously used industrial property. Successful brownfield applicants face a much lower chance of having environmental claims arise in the future. We work directly with clients to navigate the complex brownfields program, allowing them to “site” operations in an environmentally friendly area that saves money and reduces risk.

Our firm also assists clients with environmental issues in the field of oil and gas, such as shallow gas well and deep gas well pool or venting issues. On our roster of attorneys is the former counsel to the Chief of the Office of Oil and Gas of the Coal Bed Methane Review Board, lending a depth of experience and intimate knowledge of the issues our oil and gas clients are likely to encounter.

Finally, we assist clients with solid waste site permit approval for solid waste disposal. The firm has experience in this area, including permitting assistance for both Class A and Class B facilities and with public notice and hearing requirements.